Friday, November 9, 2012

Inspiration: Irish lace

When visiting Ireland in summer, we stumbled upon a small museum of lace in Kenmare, “Kenmare Lace and Design Centre”. With me being a textile addict we, of course, had to go and check it out. Here is a souvenir set of cards: 

Antique crochet lace





 
-->

The centre is very inspirational: not only it has a very impressive examples of antique lace, but also a selection of contemporary crafts as well as craft supplies for sale. After seeing that, I was itching to go back home and crochet something as intricate as possible. Here is what I’ve done.
There was a small green organza bag lying in my supply box and waiting to be used, so I decided to decorate it with crocheted flower (the same pattern as for the legwarmers) and make it into a lavender pouch. I used a plain green sewing thread and, just to add more history to it, a 100+ year old hook that I got from my grandmother. Now that must qualify as lace! The bag is available in my shop.

Organza and crochet flower lavender bag

Organza and crochet flower lavender bag

Organza and crochet flower lavender bag
 

No comments:

Post a Comment